Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Week 3 at Victoria



June 23, 2013

I just finished another great week at Victoria and got the chance to do and experience a lot of new things.  In terms of procedures, I got the chance to put in an IV line, perform a paracentesis on a patient with right heart failure, and perform a lumbar puncture on a patient with suspected meningitis.  It is such a great opportunity to get exposure to these types of procedures so early in my medical training, because I don’t get a lot of hands-on training as a pre-clinical medical student.  Since I am interested in emergency medicine, I have done a lot of shadowing in the ER and have seen a lot of lumbar punctures performed, and I always thought it was a cool procedure.  I was so excited when my preceptor handed me the kit and told me that I could do the procedure, and it was such a great feeling when I pulled the stylet out and CSF dripped out on my first try!! (I realize how nerdy that sounds but it’s true)  I also watched my preceptor perform a fine needle aspiration of a lymph node of a patient with a possible lung cancer, and he said the next time is my turn to do it! 

On Thursday, I went with my preceptor to Groote Schuur Hospital (where the first heart transplant in the world was performed!!) and watched him present one of his patients for dialysis.  In the US, dialysis is readily accessible and if I am not mistaken, it is free.  This is NOT the case in South Africa.  I believe that Groote Schuur is the only public hospital in the Western Cape that offers dialysis treatment and they have very few spots available.  So, in order for a patient to be put on dialysis, the doctor has to present the patient’s case to a board, the patient gets categorized based on his/her current medical and social standing, and then the board decides whether or not to accept the patient into the program.  It is a very stressful process for both patient and doctor, and there are tons of patients with end stage kidney disease that are denied treatment.  Learning about the whole process was definitely shocking, because in the US, we are very fortunate that patients and doctors don’t have to face such problems. 

On Friday, I got the chance to watch the University of Cape Town sixth year medical students take their practical exams.  The medical school testing process is very different in South Africa.  At KU, the majority of our testing consists of multiple choice tests on a computer.  In South Africa, the students have written exams, but they also have a lot of oral and practical exams.  In the exam that I watched on Friday, the students examined four different patients, all currently in the internal medicine ward.  I believe the four cases were stroke, heart attack, right heart failure, and bronchiectasis.  The students got ten minutes to take a history and examine the patient, and then they had to present the case to a doctor who then asked them various questions about their assessment, differential diagnoses, and their plan for treatment.  I’m sure this testing style really helps the students to perfect their clinical skills, but I’m sure glad that I was the one observing and not taking the test!

This past week has yet again been a great learning experience and I’m excited to see what this fourth and last week brings!

No comments:

Post a Comment